Saturday, 5 September 2015

Help with Flodden Heraldry, Banners and Standards Needed!!

Hi all,

I'm already planning ahead to 2017 and Salute and inspired at the pace that my Hastings Demo is coming along (for Salute 2016) I've decided upon putting together a big Battle of Flodden game.

This is a project that I've always had in mind as there was a nice contrast between the mainly pike armed Scots and the (still Late Medieval army of the English. with my research not turning up very much for the Battle of Fornovo in terms of heraldry, thus the project has been put on the backburner, I thought it wise to ask you all about sources for heraldry at The Battle of Flodden prior to making the final commitment. I noticed that Ray at the (infamous! LOL) Don't Throw a One! Blog has a lot of info on the standards and banners used and i was hoping that you guys out there could help me out with more info?

I've noticed that there is no one reference on the heraldry used by wither side during the battle or am I mistaken?

If anyone can help me out in this matter I would be very appreciative.



Darrell.


8 comments:

  1. I´ve got a contact sheet with 28 scottish Earls and barons Armorials for Flodden. I´ll get it PDF´d or see if it will go as a pic and PM it over at LAF. As for the english..who are you looking for.? If I can find the Armorials for obscure bohemian knnigits using vague latin texts and gothic german printed books it should be a doddle for english ones :-D
    Didn´t the members of the leagueofaugsburg supply the flags for fornovo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, the answer is everyone of note! LOL :>)

      Whatever you can do to help would be very much appreciated.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  2. I can help you with the English banners though they are perhaps better documented than the Scots of which there are a few known banners but the rest is guess work and deconstructing heraldry through later lines. Both armies with a few conversions lend themselves very well to the Perry plastics.

    Good luck, I reckon you'd get a tidy return if you parted with your Fornovo collection too.

    All the best

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be brilliant Stuart. Could you contact me via PM on LAF do you think please?

      Darrell.

      Delete
    2. Will do buddy. I'm away from home at the mo but I shan't forget

      Delete
  3. You may have already seen most of these sites but in case you haven't:

    http://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/remembering-flodden.html
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/483362972482933764/
    http://www.flodden.net/about/references
    http://www.flodden.net/pages/flodden-muster

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I'll check out those links now mon ami :>)

      Darrell.

      Delete